Re: Octave 3.0.1 does not build on RHEL WS 4

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: Octave 3.0.1 does not build on RHEL WS 4
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 11:17:55 -0500

Ernest L. Williams Jr. wrote:
Johann Cohen-Tanugi wrote:
well, as a matter of fact I dont see -I/usr/include in the compiler command. Maybe it is related....
Could you issue the command by hand adding this to it?
Again, no expertise here.....

I have already moved on to rerun configure without support for zlib which is optional.

I would like to know what is the recommended optional packages.

I am not sure what packages to add to my RHEL system.

I am not sure that I like the following warnings from the configure:
configure: WARNING: I didn't find gperf, but it's only a problem if you need to reconstruct oct-gperf.h configure: WARNING: UMFPACK not found. This will result in some lack of functionality for sparse matrices. configure: WARNING: COLAMD not found. This will result in some lack of functionality for sparse matrices. configure: WARNING: CCOLAMD not found. This will result in some lack of functionality for sparse matrices. configure: WARNING: CHOLMOD not found. This will result in some lack of functionality for sparse matrices. configure: WARNING: CXSparse not found. This will result in some lack of functionality for sparse matrices. configure: WARNING: FFTW library not found. Octave will use the (slower) FFTPACK library instead. configure: WARNING: GLPK library not found. The glpk function for solving linear programs will be disabled. configure: WARNING: HDF5 library not found. Octave will not be able to save or load HDF5 data files. configure: WARNING: Qhull library not found --- This will result in loss of functionality of some geometry functions.
configure:

NOTE: libraries may be skipped if a library is not found OR
     if the library on your system is missing required features.

Bottomline, what RPMS are needed/recommended to support the above?

You can install fftw3 from the EPEL repositories. The other packages you need are glpk, qhull, hdf5, and suitesparse, which are not included in EPEL for RHEL4, but they are in EPEL for RHEL 5, so you could try downloading and rebuilding the EPEL 5 SRPMS (see http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/5/SRPMS/). I think fftw support is important, but the other packages are for somewhat specialized applications, so whether you need them depends on how you plan to use octave.

Quentin