Re: From Matlab to Octave

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: From Matlab to Octave
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 09:54:11 +0200

On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 5:33 AM, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
<address@hidden> wrote:
> D. Hartog wrote:
>
>  > Hi,
>  >
>  > I am trying to switch from Matlab to Octave....
>  >
>  > It is not total clear for me which packages I should install on Debian
>  > testing, I've octave 2.9 and 3.0 installed... Should I install all the
>  > octave- packages?
>  >

>  Install the octave 3.0 packages and remove the octave 2.9 packages unless
>  necessary. Octave 3.0 is better than 2.9. Just open up synaptic and see
>  what octave packages are out there and see which ones you need and which
>  are unnecessary!
>

>  > Do you use emacs as editor?
>
>  No! I use vim. But vim does not have good syntax highlighting support for
>  octave scripts. So you are probably better off with emacs or some other
>  editor. I use vim because I am more familiar with it and do not have time
>  to learn another editor.

I have adopted some of the Vim Matlab runtime files to be more Octave-friendly;
I've also found a quite decent syntax file somewhere on the web (and I
have enhanced that one, too). One day, I'll take the time to share
them at vim.org; for now, I can share non-officially if you are
interested.