Re: expected output from log of negative number

From: Doug Stewart
Subject: Re: expected output from log of negative number
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 15:12:27 -0400

E. Joshua Rigler wrote:
If I type log10(-1), I get a complex number back whose real part is the log of the absolute value of the argument, and whose imaginary part is always equal to 1.36438. What's more, I get similar behavior with a natural log, but the imaginary part is always equal to Pi.

I've managed to confirm that this behavior is compatible with ML, so I imagine it's not a bug, but can someone explain to me the logic here?