Re: Problems with FTGL building octave-3.1.51

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Problems with FTGL building octave-3.1.51
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 12:01:59 -0400

On 19-Aug-2008, José Luis García Pallero wrote:

| Hi again,
| I have a possible solution for my problem.
| In the line number 827 of config.log (see bellow) the error message says
| that in line 33 of ftgl.h an #include sentence is wrong. Lines 32 and 33 of
| ftgl.h are
|
| #include <ft2build.h>
| #include FT_FREETYPE_H
|
| I suppose that FT_FREETYPE_H (the #include error origin) is defined in
| ft2build.h. If I open /usr/include/ft2build.h I can see the lines 55 and 56
|
| /* `<prefix>/include/freetype2' must be in your current inclusion path */
| #include <freetype/config/ftheader.h>
|
| In the line number 173 of ftheader.h is the FT_FREETYPE_H definition
|
| #define FT_FREETYPE_H  <freetype/freetype.h>
|
| But the problem was that the include path of freetype2 not is in the include
| path of my installation. If I set the environment variables C_INCLUDE_PATH
| and CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH to /usr/include/freetype2 I can configure octave
| without warnings. By the moment the compilation runs OK.
|
| But this solution is no good. I don't know why the include path is not set
| during the installation of libftgl-dev. Any opinion about?

I have been using

  configure ... CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/include/freetype2

Note that the ft2build.h header file on my system includes the comment

  /* This is a Unix-specific version of <ft2build.h> that should be used   */
  /* exclusively *after* installation of the library.                      */
  /*                                                                       */
  /* It assumes that `/usr/local/include/freetype2' (or whatever is        */
  /* returned by the `freetype-config --cflags' or `pkg-config --cflags'   */
  /* command) is in your compilation include path.                         */
  /*                                                                       */
  /* We don't need to do anything special in this release.  However, for   */
  /* a future FreeType 2 release, the following installation changes will  */
  /* be performed:                                                         */
  /*                                                                       */
  /*   - The contents of `freetype-2.x/include/freetype' will be installed */
  /*     to `/usr/local/include/freetype2' instead of                      */
  /*     `/usr/local/include/freetype2/freetype'.                          */
  /*                                                                       */
  /*   - This file will #include <freetype2/config/ftheader.h>, instead    */
  /*     of <freetype/config/ftheader.h>.                                  */
  /*   - The contents of `ftheader.h' will be processed with `sed' to      */
  /*     replace all `<freetype/xxx>' with `<freetype2/xxx>'.              */
  /*   - Adding `/usr/local/include/freetype2' to your compilation include */
  /*     path will not be necessary anymore.                               */

So eventually the additional -I option should not be needed.

Do we really need to check for freetype2 before FTGL?  If so, then I'd
consider a patch, but I have no plans to fix this problem myself.

jwe