symbolic toolbox returns error

From: lombardo
Subject: symbolic toolbox returns error
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 09:55:23 +0200

Hi,

Hope it is ok to post this help request here

I'm new to OCTAVE (trying to migrate from MATLAB).

I'm running on Kubuntu Hardy (32bits)

I extracted the symbolic toolbox from the
octave-forge-bundle-20080507.tar.gz

then I entered the command
pkg install /home/lombardo/Desktop/symbolic-1.0.6.tar.gz

Then I get

octave-3.0.0:2> x=sym("a")
error:
/home/lombardo/octave/symbolic-1.0.6/i486-pc-linux-gnu-api-v32/symbols.oct:
undefined symbol: _ZNK5GiNaC5basic5evalfEi
error: `sym' undefined near line 2 column 3
error: evaluating assignment expression near line 2, column 2

Anybody having a clue about what I might be missing?

Best

Gianni