Plotting, hold-on, colors

From: Ben Boxman
Subject: Plotting, hold-on, colors
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 14:25:35 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

  I've compiled the latest Octave (3.0.2) And the latest released gnuplot
(4.2.3).

  I'm vexed by octave/gnuplot not changing colors when plotting additional
plots with hold-on. Yes, I know I can set colors manually (or pass all
arguments to one big plot call) -- but this is:
1) Cumbersome for normal plots.
2) Even more cumbersome when using hist() and other built-in functions
on-top of plot (with hist, you can get the output, and then call yet another
function (bar -- that doesn't produce exactly the same results ([x,y] =
hist(z); bar(y,x);  -- is visually different than hist(z) -- probably some
style default?)....).

  This used to work properly in previous (<2.9.x) versions of octave. I use
plots extensively, typically, I'll crunch some numbers in the command line
and blurt them out as a plot/histogram (much easier to do this in octave
than in gnuplot, any manipulation/processing/filtering is so much easier
inside of octave). Just about every second plot I make involves multiple

  Is there any quick solution for this?

  Is this a gnuplot issue (e.g. like the zoom problem)? Will this be solved
if I compile the unstable gnuplot 4.3?
  Is there any way I can patch octave to fix this (e.g., changing the
default 'blue' to something cyclic, and intercepting hold and resetting said
cyclic variable?)?

Man thanks,

Ben Boxman