Re: Maximum Variable Size in Octave

From: Przemek Klosowski
Subject: Re: Maximum Variable Size in Octave
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 15:19:21 -0400 (EDT)

Sorry, I didn't need to do IO on large arrays. Since on most systems
the effective disk speed is on the order of 10MB/s, I/O to a 10GB
array takes half an hour. The best way to say it is 'disk is the new
tape'; you don't store unless you really need to; calculate in memory
as much as you can---in most cases the initial conditions and outputs
are much smaller than the intermediate data.

Still, arguably, Octave is not 64-bit ready because of I/O.