Plotting from Octave

From: Spencer Buckner
Subject: Plotting from Octave
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2008 13:32:32 -0600

Sergei Steshenko asked about dependencies when building the program from source, the API, and more details regarding the plot-parameter files. The program is a GNOME application and uses the GTK+ and GNOME libraries, including libgnomeui-2.0 and libgnomeprintui-2.2. It was developed on a Fedora-8 GNU/Linux Intel Pentium-4 system. The dependency list is long. A makefile is included for compiling, installation, and removal. Details regarding the plot-parameter file and everything else are given in the gsegrafix.xhtml help file, included in gsegrafix-1.0.1.tar.gz. Eleven example plots with the octave code required to generate the data and the corresponding parameter files for producing the plots are included in the help file.

Soren Hauberg mentioned that the wxt terminal for gnuplot will give smooth curves. I just tried to use a wxt terminal with gnuplot but found that the Fedora-8 versions of octave and gnuplot (octave 2.9.15 and gnuplot 4.2) don't seem to know about it. The "set terminal" command in gnuplot does not list wxt as an available terminal type. I see that octave 3.0 and gnuplot 4.2.2 are included in Fedora-9. Maybe those versions include wxt-terminal capability. I started writing the plotting program, pretty much as a hobby, in 2003 to learn something about writing linux applications. Also, I thought gnuplot was not easy to use for anything other than very simple plots and because I didn't think the plots looked very good. I don't believe Pango and Cairo were available then. There still seem to be a lot of questions about how to use gnuplot.

Spencer