Re: Displaying an animation / "movie"

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Displaying an animation / "movie"
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 15:46:25 -0500

2008/9/15 Søren Hauberg <address@hidden>:

>  However, from a practical point of view I have two problems with Ogg
>    *) It is not a commonly used format by people outside the Free
>       software community. So, if you want a large audience, Ogg is
>       not a great format. This is of course a chicken-and-egg type
>       problem, as people will start using Ogg when it's gotten
>       popular...

Wikipedia is popularising it, and Firefox will soon have some sort of
native support for it too.

>    *) While Ogg provides excellent compression for movies of the real
>       world, it compresses things too much for things such a plots.
>       I've experimented a bit with moving plots in Ogg, and the result
>       really looked like crap. I'm sure that could be tweaked if time
>       was an infinite resource, but other codecs did better. Perhaps
>       the Free Dirac codec would be good here.

Or Matroska which also seems free... XviD is supposedly free too, but
I think its patent situation is murky.

What do you think of these, do they look crappy? There's a bit of
pixellation near the text, maybe that's what you mean?

     http://platinum.linux.pl/~jordi/movies/sw-solution.ogg
     http://platinum.linux.pl/~jordi/movies/radial.ogg
     http://platinum.linux.pl/~jordi/movies/nonradial.ogg

- Jordi G. H.