How to get values of W(x,y) from the function contour(x,y,W,1000) ?

From: Prof M. N. Anandaram
Subject: How to get values of W(x,y) from the function contour(x,y,W,1000) ?
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 18:54:51 -0700 (PDT)

Hello anybody:

I am using the Octave function contour(x,y,W(x,y), 1000) to good effect but do
not know
which command to use to print out all the contoured values of W(x,y) in the
|x|, |y| field.

Of course I supply a large matrix of W and a corresponding meshgrid(x,y) to the
contour() command.
But I want to have the values of W used only for the contours that are plotted
in the given region.

Can anyone tell me how?

Thanks in advance.
Anandaram