Re: Where is "colororder" defined?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Where is "colororder" defined?
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2008 10:24:01 -0400

On  2-Oct-2008, Samarkand wrote:

| Thanks Ben, I appreciate your comments but I'm not sure that's the case.
|
| Please see the output I've just captured:
| ==========================================================
| address@hidden /]# octave
<<<  Start
| Octave in any directory
| GNU Octave, version 3.0.3
| Copyright (C) 2008 John W. Eaton and others.
|
| text removed for clarity .........
|
| octave:1> get (gca,"colororder")
| warning: get: invalid property `colororder'                            <<<
Get the error
| message
| octave:2> exit
|
| address@hidden /]# cd /usr/local/share/octave/3.0.3/m/plot    <<< go to the
| ../m/plot/ directory
| address@hidden plot]# octave                                          <<<
Start Octave
| GNU Octave, version 3.0.3
| Copyright (C) 2008 John W. Eaton and others.
|
| text removed for clarity ...........
|
| octave:1> get (gca,"colororder")
| <<< and it works just fine!!
| ans =
|
|    0.00000   0.00000   1.00000
|    0.00000   0.50000   0.00000
|    1.00000   0.00000   0.00000
|    0.00000   0.75000   0.75000
|    0.75000   0.00000   0.75000
|    0.75000   0.75000   0.00000
|    0.25000   0.25000   0.25000
|
| octave:2>
|
| =====================================================
|
| Plot ONLY works if I start Octave from the ../m/plot/ directory which is
| crazy!

No, it's not crazy.  It's probably happening because you have the
system directories for the 3.0.0 version in your load path, so you are
mixing versions.  However, the current directory (".") is always first
in the load path, so when you start Octave in the
/usr/local/share/octave/3.0.3/m/plot directory, you are getting the
version of the plotting functions that match the version of Octave
that you are using.

To verify that this is the problem, I suggest that you start Octave in
your home directory and type the following commands:

  which plot
  path

Is the plot function coming from the 3.0.0 directory tree?

Does the output of path list the system directories for the 3.0.0
version?

What is in your ~/.octaverc file?

jwe