How to obtain irregular submatrix for .oct files

From: pauljoseph
Subject: How to obtain irregular submatrix for .oct files
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 23:40:11 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

is there anyway to extract a submatrix but with irregular rows and columns.
I know we can use "extract", but this assumes from left corner to right
corner. What I want is something like this in octave:

%create 5x5 random matrix
A=rand(5);
idx=[1,3,5];
B=A(idx,idx);

How to do it if I write a C++ code for .oct file? thanks in advance.