Re: Octave presentation

From: Ivan Sutoris
Subject: Re: Octave presentation
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 14:02:02 +0100

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 12:57 PM, Jaroslav Hajek <address@hidden> wrote:
> hello,
>
> if anyone is interested, I'm sharing a simple presentation that I'm
> going to use in my talk about Octave at Prague university.
> It is not intended to be a tutorial to Octave, but an informational
> intro about Octave and Free Software in general.
> Comments from anyone are welcome, as well as modifications or
> graphical adjustments.
> (PS: Yes, you may find it rather curt. I like minimalistic presentations.)

I think it's nice presentation, even graphically :). I have one
thought - while Octave is primarily free software in the sense 'free
as in speech', for many users it is maybe even more important that it
is 'free as in beer' as well. I mean, many users don't care if they
can see the source codes, they just want software which they can use
without paying hefty license fees and dealing with license
limitations, or which they can freely share with their colleagues or
students - so if you want to 'advertise' Octave to new users, maybe it
would be good to emphasize this point as well.

Few additional comments - you could mention platforms, where Octave
runs, and website where it can be downloaded (there is link to Octave
forge, but not to octave.org). And I think gnuplot is called just
'gnuplot', not 'GNUplot' (it's not GNU project).

Good luck with your presentation
Ivan Sutoris