Matlab compatibility for university Numerical Analysis course

From: Andreas Stahel
Subject: Matlab compatibility for university Numerical Analysis course
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 09:00:48 +0100

I teach a numerical methods class, based on Octave only. Some students use
Matlab without major problems.
If the sample a set up with a little (very little) attention to the difference,
both programs work.
Make sure you are using Octave 3.0.* , otherwise the plot commands will be
different

With best reagards

Andreas

I am taking a numerical analysis course at my university. We have been
recommended to use Matlab. Is Octave considered a viable alternative
for a university course? I understand that Octave is _mostly_ Matlab
compatible but I am not familiar enough with either Matlab or Octave
to make an informed decision.

--
Dotan Cohen

--
Andreas Stahel       E-Mail: address@hidden
Mathematics, BFH-TI  Phone: ++41 +32 32 16 258