Re: Matlab compatibility for university Numerical Analysis course

From: Dotan Cohen
Subject: Re: Matlab compatibility for university Numerical Analysis course
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 15:35:40 +0200

2008/11/14 Ivan Sutoris <address@hidden>:
> On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 9:00 AM, Dotan Cohen <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Thank you Carlo. I will search for that book to supplement my own
>> studies. I think that it has been shown that Octave will likely work
>> for my needs, and I should be able to recognize when / if it will
>> differ from Matlab for my course, so I will begin studying the
>> application and the language. Thanks!
>
> If you need your code to run in both MATLAB and Octave, you can take a
> look at Octave FAQ (there are also some things which work in Octave,
> but not in MATLAB):
> http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/FAQ.html#MATLAB-compatibility

Thank you Ivan. I had read that, which is why I had considered using
Octave in the first place. However, there is a difference when
considering an 'alternative' progran for personal use than when one is
instructed to use a particular program and instead uses something
else. I ran into this issue when learning C. Th university tauht Turbo
C, I coded for GCC, and in the end I got a bad (but passing) grade
because my code was not Turbo C compatible.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il