gnuplot error

From: Robert Fong-tom
Subject: gnuplot error
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 01:21:08 -0500

Hi,
I just installed binary Octave 3.0.3 from Octave-Forge and now get the following error:

gnuplot: unable to open display ':0'
gnuplot: X11 aborted.

I am running OS X 10.4 (Tiger) i386. I deleted Octave 3.0.2 and all packages (also downloaded from Octave-Forge) then reinstalled the new version and the packages. I did this because I had problems just installing the new version by replacing the 3.02 with 3.0.3. Also, I have been trying to install the image package without luck. I even tried porting it from MacPorts but gave up. I suspect that MacPort may have changed my environment because I noticed that after downloading MacPorts, Octave started under Terminal instead of X11. Is anyone familiar with this issue and know how to fix this problem?
Bob