Re: Octave review

From: José Luis García Pallero
Subject: Re: Octave review
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 13:13:11 +0100

Hello,
I think that you review is really nice. It would be a good idea to improve the wikipedia article about GNU Octave with this contribution.

2009/2/7 Doug Stewart <address@hidden>
Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
> Hello.
>
> It's come to my attention that a writeup of mine comes as the first
> Google hit when looking for "octave review", so now I am starting to
> feel more responsible for what I wrote in it.
>
> I rewrote it today updating what I know, but I know I probably have
> some facts wrong, and I also probably neglected to mention other
> important advantages and drawbacks of Octave as it currently stands.
>
> Although I wouldn't want to wikify it (I want to keep my voice in it,
> as it has to be for a review) I am writing to request that anyone who
> can point out omissions or improvements to it, please do so.

some typos

In the following  section  it should be     In there own words

compatibility with Matlab. In the own words of the developers as seen in
the mailing lists, Octave doesn't purport to be a bug-for-bug
<http://www.everything2.com/title/imitation%2520is%2520the%2520highest%2520form%2520of%2520flattery>
copy of Matlab, so things sometimes differ intentionally, but the grand
eventual goal might be to make all the existing and vast codebase
written for Matlab to work in Octave, today still not completely attained.

Matlab codebase that has us gotten us into this fine mess to begin with.
The Matlab users almost always

and one addition:
you say
Octave in particular has nothing like Simulink
<http://www.everything2.com/title/Simulink>, which I've never personally
used but I understand is an important reason for the foothold Matlab has
as a de-facto standard in the numeric community. I have also not heard
of any attempts at making anything like Simulink for Octave.

scilab  (  free software )  does have a "Simulink" compatable  package
called scicos.

see
http://www.scilab.org/doc/scicos/index.html

You could add this info to show that there is also a free replacement
for simulink

Doug Stewart