setting the editor on a mac doesn't work

From: Florian Schlenz
Subject: setting the editor on a mac doesn't work
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 21:58:49 +0100

Hi there,

I use an Intel Mac with OSX 10.5.6 and Octave 3.0.3 and I want to set the editor to use with octave as it doesn't come with a built in editor on a mac.
I have tried to type several things in the octave terminal window:

edit editor "xedit %s &"              (like it is written in the edit help)
edit editor "Aquamacs %s"

but nothing worked. I also have tried it with other editors that I installed in my Applications folder. Octave.app is also in the Applications folder by the way.

When I do this it seems alright but when I type "edit" oder "edit test.m", while "test.m" is in a folder on the path, nothing happens. It looks like the Terminal is doing something and it won't react any more if I try to type something else, but nothing happens, no editor starts up...

Thanks

Flo