marching cubes and isosurface

From: martin_helm
Subject: marching cubes and isosurface
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 05:57:19 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

this post was first on the graphics list, but I deleted it by accident,
since I noticed that the graphics list seems to be allmost dead I put it
here.

The situation:
 I could not find an isosurface function similar to matlab or marching cubes
algorithm in octave. So I recently made my own one. It creates a
triangulation from a scalar function on a meshgrid (it can be found at
http://www.mhelm.de/octave/m/marching_cubes.m).
If it is usefull to someone I would be glad to receive a feedback. I
preferred a pure .m file implementation since the performance is good enough
for my needs and I will enhance it to a complete isosurface function
compatible with matlab.
Since I do not intend to event the wheel twice, can someone point me to an
existing implementation if there exists one?
Can someone give me the information if "trisurf" will be implemented in the
next version of octave (3.2) or in octave forge, I couldn't find out,
although I found discussions about trisurf in mailing lists?
For the moment I use octaviz for things like that because it still gives me
interactive graphics with vtk_trisurf even for large datasets (e. g.
triangle meshes with >1.6 M triangles). I wonder if something similar will
be available with the new fltk backend.
I checked the development sources but could not find trisurf. The enhanced
patch function with fltk and jhandles gives a similar functionality but
seems to have some problems with the shading settings.

-mh