Building Octave Statically (and without graphics)

From: Tim Currie
Subject: Building Octave Statically (and without graphics)
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 09:09:11 -0500

Hi!
I'm trying to build a static Octave binary on Fedora 9. In building all the deps as static libs, I ran into trouble with the requirement for libGL. It seems (according to comments in the Mesa configure script) that Mesa cannot be built statically, as the DRI requires that the drivers be dynamic, which seems to conflict with the explicit assertion in the documentation that Octave can, in fact, be built as a static binary on Linux. This might be beside the point if I can figure out how to build Octave *without any graphical capability*, as the Octave configure script suggests is possible, because this build is going to be run on a large cluster. But alas, this doesn't work any better than building Mesa, which is to say that following the instructions in the README, as well as the comments in the configure script and the Makefile, doesn't produce the predicted results. Any suggestions you can offer or resources you can point me at would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

-Tim Currie