Re: embedding octave twice causes warning: duplicate binary operator

From: Soeren Sonnenburg
Subject: Re: embedding octave twice causes warning: duplicate binary operator
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 22:16:37 +0100

On Wed, 2009-03-04 at 21:43 +0100, Alain Baeckeroot wrote:
> Dear all
>
> We are just starting a project, where we would like to have one octave
> instance (near 100 MB memory used) with a php interface for several
> simultaneous users.
>
> In our idea,
> - octave gets the input datas (read only) from a postgres database (this
> already work) and then
> -   each user (probably no more than 10 simultaneous) gives some parameters
> and octave run the adequate functions and draw some nice graphics.
>
> Le 04/03/2009 à 18:40, John W. Eaton a écrit :
> > I would suggest only embedding and initializing it once in your
> > application.  If you need to do something different, then you'll need
> > to do some work to implement functions that properly shutdown and
> > cleanup the Octave interpreter so that it may be initialized again.
> > But since Octave is not reentrant/thread safe, even if you do that,
> > you will likely only be able to initialize one copy of Octave at a
> > time.
>
> Do this mean that we need to launch one octave process per user ?

Well it means you can run commands one at a time *in the same context*.
So in case you want to have multiple sessions (avoiding variable name
clashes) you need processes.

However, to me it sounds like that you want this anyway...

> As function arguments are passed by value, we thought we could  just call
> one "great_function" per user without problem.  I'm confused now :-)

You can call one function per user but they will all be in the same
context ... in case this is interactive you need to do input handling as
well...

Soeren