Re: using Octave to control test equipment

From: Sergei Steshenko
Subject: Re: using Octave to control test equipment
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 16:26:17 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Mon, 3/9/09, Dan Staver <address@hidden> wrote:

> From: Dan Staver <address@hidden>
> Subject: using Octave to control test equipment
> To: address@hidden
> Date: Monday, March 9, 2009, 10:04 AM
> I would like to drive some test equipment (such as VXi
> instruments) directly
> form Octave.
> I am having difficulty finding the right group for this.
>
> Can someone recommend the proper news group or a good
> source of examples for
> doing this?
> thanks,
> Dan Staver
> W3QDO

Well, 'octave' can read/write data from/to pipes and files, and one
can also write custom C/C++ code to be linked with 'octave'.

Also, 'octave' can execute OS commands through 'system'.

I think the above features should be sufficient to control anything -
unless we are talking about something pretty fast, so the required speed
is higher than the one provided by 'octave' interpreter.

Regards,
  Sergei.