Re: MPI and Octave? Parallel Octave?

From: Michael Creel
Subject: Re: MPI and Octave? Parallel Octave?
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 07:45:12 -0700 (PDT)

Ian Langmore wrote:

> Looking at this website
> http://www.aoki.ecei.tohoku.ac.jp/octave/index.html
> it appears that "Parallel Octave" hasn't been updated since 2003.  Is
> this the case?  What sort of shape is it in?
> I have access to a 1500 core SiCortex machine (MIPS architecture) and
> also have a good deal of matlab code written--not to mention experience
> with matlab but not with C/C++.  As matlab will not work with anything
> other than X86 architectures, I'm looking for another solution.  Any
> ideas?  Also, has anyone built octave for this type of machine?
>
> As a side note, I'm considering investing time in SciPy along with MPI
> http://mpi4py.scipy.org/
> their website has been disabled for a bit--so I'm not sure if it is
> worth my time.  Any thoughts on this?
>
> Thanks,
> Ian

Octave is available for MIPS in Debian GNU/Linux:
http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=octave3.0&searchon=names&suite=stable&section=all

About mpi4py, see http://code.google.com/p/mpi4py/  There is a brand new
1.0.0 release out. I have played around with it in the past, but haven't
used it for anything serious. Boost also has MPI bindings for python. That I
have used a bit, and I found it pretty smooth sailing. I haven't used either
package enough to make serious comments, though.

Cheers, Michael