Re: Figure Background Color

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Figure Background Color
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 16:55:42 -0400

On 21-Jul-2009, Søren Hauberg wrote:

| tir, 21 07 2009 kl. 11:00 -0700, skrev Kristen Richter:
| > I am attempting to adjust the figure background color from it's default
white to red.  After reading the online Matlab manual, it seems like the
appropriate commands are

| > set(gcf,'Color',[1,0,0])
| >
| > After typing this command into Octave, a figure appears.  A simple plot
command like, plot(apples,oranges) returns a default white plot with a blue
line. When I query get(gcf,'Color'), the answer returned is 1 0 0.

| You are doing it correctly. However, it seems this is not supported in
| the 'gnuplot' backend. I don't know if this is impossible to do in
| gnuplot, or if it is because nobody ever got around to implementing it.

I don't think there is a terminal-independent way to set the
background color with gnuplot.  For the x11 terminal, you can use X11
resources, but that doesn't allow you to change the color once gnuplot
is running.

If this matters to you, then fix gnuplot so that the background color
can be changed using the gnuplot command language.  Then Octave could
use that feature to change the background color.

Or, help us improve the OpenGL graphics backend for Octave.  That
backend already handles the set command you show above, but is lacking
some other important features.

jwe