Re: Figure Position

From: Kristen Richter
Subject: Re: Figure Position
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 12:55:46 -0700 (PDT)

On Thursday, August 13, 2009, at 11:57AM, "Kristen Richter" <address@hidden>
wrote:

>I have upgraded from 3.2.0 to octave 3.2.2 and am running gnuplot-x11 4.5.4-6
>in ubuntu.
>
>However, even after trying the example below, I'm having the same sort of
>problem, where new figures appear just below my command window, to the side of
>my command window, to the side and bottom of my command window, and then tiled
>with my command window, no matter what numbers I put in the [left bottom width
>height] matrix for 'Position'. (See example below)
>
>octave:2> figure(1,"position",[5,5,400,400])
>octave:3> figure(2,"position",[5,5,400,400])
>octave:4> figure(3,"position",[5,5,400,400])
>octave:5> figure(4,"position",[5,5,400,400])
>octave:6> get(figure(1),'Position')
>ans =
>
>     5     5   400   400
>
>octave:7> get(figure(2),'Position')
>ans =
>
>     5     5   400   400
>
>octave:8> get(figure(3),'Position')
>ans =
>
>     5     5   400   400
>
>octave:9> get(figure(4),'Position')
>ans =
>
>     5     5   400   400
>

>While querying 'Position' with the get command returns the input I gave, this
>is obviously not occurring.
>
>Has anyone else come across this issue? Have I changed some global variable in
>octave? Why would uninstalling and reinstalling octave not have restored
>global defaults? What else could be overriding my 'Position' inputs?
>
>Any help on this issue would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>Kristen

----------
Hi Kristen,

What happens when you try the commands below?

close all
figure (1, "position", [5, 5, 400, 400])

Also, "gnuplot-x11 4.5.4-6" doesn't look correct. I have a recent copy of the
developers sources. The version for the developers sources is only 4.3.

You can check the version number of your installed gnuplot from Octave by
typing "__gnuplot_version__". Or by typing "gnuplot --version" at a shell
prompt.

Ben

p.s. Please respond at below, so that those coming later can read along.
----------
Hi Ben,

I rechecked my version of gnuplot... It is 4.2.4.. I just read it from the
Synaptic Package Manager too fast and jumbled the numbers up.

'close all' closes all the figures as expected.
Typing in the second command brings up a landscape window at the very top of
the screen.

'figure(2,'Position',[5 5 400 400])' then brings up a second figure window
placed just below the bottom of the first figure window, and then further
figures auto-tile between these two spaces.

Earlier, I observed 4X4 tiling behavior, and I notice that during my work
today, I've stacked the right side of my screen with projects that I'm working
on. When I close out some of these windows, tiling resumes in a 4X4 manner,
filling in the empty space with figures. Since the figures seem to be drawn to
unoccupied space, I'm now wondering if opening figure positions are being
controlled by my operating system? Anyone else running ubuntu and having
problems with figure positions?

-Kristen