Re: cannot plot via gnuplot (4.2.6) from octave 3.2.3 (on Mac OS 10.6)

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: cannot plot via gnuplot (4.2.6) from octave 3.2.3 (on Mac OS 10.6)
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 08:37:48 +0900 (JST)

Hello

--- Bob Q wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I downloaded and installed the octave-3.2.3 dmg on Mac OS X (10.6, intel)
> along with the gnuplot-4.2.6 dmg in the Extras.
>
> At first, it could not find gnuplot...
>
> > plot(x,y)
> [quote]
> error: popen2 (child): unable to start process -- No such file or directory
> error: called from:
> error:   /Applications/Octave
> 3.2.3.app/Contents/Resources/share/octave/3.2.3/m/plot/__gnuplot_open_stream__.m
> at line 28, column 44
> error:   /Applications/Octave
> 3.2.3.app/Contents/Resources/share/octave/3.2.3/m/plot/gnuplot_drawnow.m at
> line 85, column 19
> sh: gnuplot: command not found
> error: you must have gnuplot installed to display graphics; if you have
> gnuplot installed in a non-standard location, see the 'gnuplot_binary'
> function
> octave-3.2.3:4> gnuplot_binary("/Applications/Gnuplot")
> octave-3.2.3:5> plot(x,y)
> sh: /Applications/Gnuplot: No such file or directory
> error: you must have gnuplot installed to display graphics; if you have
> gnuplot installed in a non-standard location, see the 'gnuplot_binary'
> function
> [/quote]
>
> ...solving this with a...
>
> > gnuplot_binary("/Applications/Gnuplot.app/Contents/Resources/bin/gnuplot")
>
> ...and again plotting gives...
> [quote]
> error: `unset' undefined near line 4 column 1
> warning: broken pipe -- some output may be lost
> [/quote]
>
> where it can only be escaped with a ctrl-c.
>
> Is gnuplot 4.2.6 not working with octave 3.2.3?  Is there a way around this?
>
> Your help or advise is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks, Bob

Hello

I'm not a Mac user so that my statement is to be a mere note.
Gnuplot 4.2.6 is minor changed version from previous one so that in principle
there is no reason that
it does not work from octave.

Did you try to describe
gnuplot_binary("/Applications/Gnuplot.app/Contents/Resources/bin/gnuplot")
in .octaverc ?

You can find HOME directory of octave
octave:1> tilde_expand ('~')

If you did not try, please describe
gnuplot_binary("/Applications/Gnuplot.app/Contents/Resources/bin/gnuplot");
in .octaverc in the HOME directory of octave.

If you have already try the above or the above trial will be in failure,
perhaps the problem in the
gnuplot 4.2.6 installed.  The installing might be in failure.

At that time, please wait Mac users will help you.

BTW, if you want use mouse zooming in 2D plot, try to use gnuplot 4.3 (CVS).
At gnuplot 4.2,mouse zooming in 2D plot does not work because octave send plot
data via pipe.
For gnuplot 4.3, mouse

Unfortunately binaries of Mac version is not distributed but you can build by
yourself by instruction:
http://gnuplot.info/development/index.html

Note that the development tools (gcc, automake, autoconf, m4, etc.) and
dependencies (gd and its
related libraries) are required for building.

Good luck!

Tatsuro

GyaO! - Anime, Dramas, Movies, and Music videos [FREE]
http://pr.mail.yahoo.co.jp/gyao/