gnuplot commands in octave

From: mishkind
Subject: gnuplot commands in octave
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 00:45:59 -0800 (PST)

Hi,
I'm not exactly sure what the relationship is between gnuplot and octave,
but I've noticed that most of the syntax is similar.

So my general question is:
Is there a way to run some gnuplot code from within octave?

As an example I want to run this bit of gnuplot code:
gnuplot> gauss1(x) = A1*exp( -((x-x1)/sig1)**2 )
gnuplot> FIT_LIMIT = 1e-6
gnuplot> fit gauss1(x) 'mydata.txt' using 1:2 via A1,x1,sig1
gnuplot> plot 'mydata.txt', gauss1(x)

Basically I'd like to use the 'fit' command from gnuplot, as I still haven't
managed to find a simple way to fit a gaussian (or any other user defined
function) with octave, but if there is a more general solution that allows
me to run any bit of gnuplot code within octave then that would be best.

thanks,
mishkin