Re: Mathworks-hosted GPL'd software

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Mathworks-hosted GPL'd software
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 21:47:59 +0100

Richard Stallman wrote:
    By the way, as a rabid conspiracy theorist, I would point out that
    Mathworks is probably more concerned about Scilab than Octave. Scilab
    is very cozy with industry partners in particular Mathworks'
    arch-enemy National Instruments.

(Just so people know, Scilab is non-free software.)

Scilab been under the Cecill version 2 license for at least 18 months.

http://www.scilab.org/products/scilab/license

Reading

http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/

it seems to me that scilab can be considered to be "free". The FSF page even explicitly mentions the case of Scilab.

D.