save both dates and numeric data

From: abigi
Subject: save both dates and numeric data
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 01:11:36 -0800 (PST)

Dear Octave forum,

  I am quite a beginner in Octave. I am using Octave 3.0.5 on a x86_64 pc
linux. I have quite a few numeric data (measurement) which I would need to
save into a text file according to the following structure of:

1st column -> dates
2nd : 130th colums -> numeric data

I had more than a look to datestr, save, fprintf but I had troubles with

 - creating a matrix or something alike with that structure (1 column of
date/character type data, other cols numeric data), so that I could save
straightly. I am doubting that is possible to have this kind of data...
something like a "dataframe" in R

 - to generate a sequence of dates I have used strvcat + datestr, resulting
in a character vector: is that a good way to solve this issue?

- I have tried with merging everything in a string matrix, but then it was
getting even messier...

Any suggestion is welcome, thanks,

 Alessandro