'print' problems in 3.2.3

From: Thomas Detman
Subject: 'print' problems in 3.2.3
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 16:44:52 -0600

Hi,

I'm frustrated trying to get a quality multipanel graphics file using 'print', and then be able to send it to a printer, and have it come out right. I tried a few different backends, but they all run into trouble:
"ps","png" - 2 problems, 1 question:
  1. - I use 'subplot' and 'set ( gca (), "position", ...)' to make a multipanel
       plot. It displays correctly, but 'print myfile.ps' changes the positions.
       I submitted a bug report on this; Ben Abbott pickup that up and created a
       patch.  Not sure I even want to install 'patch' on my system; thinking my
       system came without it for a good reason, but I could get over my fear if
       that was the only problem.
  2. - I do: 'print myfile.ps -landscape -color' then I look at myfile.ps using
       the evince document viewer, and it looks fine, but if I send it to the
       printer, it always seems to come out wrong, like a landscape in portrait
       format; about 1/3 is off the paper's right side, and the bottom is
       missing even though there is room for it on the paper. Making me crazy.
  Q:  What I really want is to stack panels (subplots) so there is no white
      space between them.  How can I suppress the x-tick mark labels on all of
      the subplots but the bottom one?

"png","jpg","gif" - all OK, except 'xlabel', 'ylabel', and 'title' commands don't work, and give many error messages that begin:
gdImageStringFT: Could not find/open font while printing string ...

Another question, I'm trying to make graphics to go with a manuscript that I will submit to the Journal of Geophysical Research (JGR) for publication, papers in JGR very often include acknowledgments, would it be appropriate and appreciated for me to include an acknowledgment to to the open source community and specifically the octave development team? (Did I just kick over a can of worms?) (And assuming I can get through the above problems. I would sure appreciate any help.)

Thanks