Re: Re: octave installation problem - linux/limits.h

From: Andy Buckle
Subject: Re: Re: octave installation problem - linux/limits.h
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 14:32:23 +0100

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 2:15 PM, Andy Buckle <address@hidden> wrote:

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 1:59 PM, bijoy <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi All,

First of all thanks Martin for his prompt reply.

I have followed what martin has adviced me. Now I get the following error ( before coming to this error I had couple of errors which I passed following martins instructions)

octave:1> pkg install miscellaneous-1.0.9.tar.gz
/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.3/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld: cannot find -lz

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure: error: Could not run mkoctfile
the configure script returned the following error: checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for mkoctfile... mkoctfile
error: called from `pkg>configure_make' in file /usr/share/octave/3.2.0/m/pkg/pkg.m near line 1240, column 2
error: called from:
error: /usr/share/octave/3.2.0/m/pkg/pkg.m at line 714, column 5
error: /usr/share/octave/3.2.0/m/pkg/pkg.m at line 287, column 7

But there is no package called 'z', how can I overcome this error ?

Please help me.

Regards
Bijoy

not sure, but try

sudo zypper in zlib-devel

I found this by doing

zypper se z

Just thought I would mention that, with this saying in mind: http://www.amatecon.com/fish.html

Please note that the convention on this list is to put replies after copies of previous correspondence.

--
/* andy buckle */

I think this might help you.

sudo zypper in --dry-run octave

It should list any missing dependencies of the repo version of octave, without actually installing anything. All you have to do is find the corresponding devel package. Hopefully the versions of the dependencies will not cause insurmountable problems.

--
/* andy buckle */