Re: subplots

From: some_guy
Subject: Re: subplots
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 23:54:43 -0700 (PDT)

Rob Mahurin wrote:

> On Jul 7, 2009, at 5:38 PM, Roque I wrote:
>> How to make asymmetrical arrangements of subplots?
>> i.e.
>> +----------+-----------+
>> I          I (fig.2)   I
>> I          I           I
>> I (fig.1)  +-----------+
>> I          I (fig.3)   I
>> I          I           I
>> +----------+-----------+
>
> Try
>
>       subplot(1,2,1); title("fig 1")
>       subplot(2,2,2); title("fig 2")
>       subplot(2,2,4); title("fig 3")
>
> Rob
>
> --
> Rob Mahurin
> University of Manitoba, Dept. of Physics & Astronomy
> at:   Oak Ridge National Laboratory   865 207 2594
>       Oak Ridge, Tennessee            address@hidden

I'm wondering if it is possible to use subplot command when I want
asymmetrical arrangement of subplots but not on a grid like the original
example above. For example if I have a figure and do
subplot(4,1,1);
subplot(4,1,2);
subplot(4,1,3);
subplot(4,1,4);

I get 4 subplots equally spaced vertically along the page. I would like to
have the first three subplots take 60% (20% each) of the page, and the
fourth subplot take the bottom 40% of the page.  What is the best way to do
this?  Or to have other arrangements with arbitrary lengths/widths of each
subplot (4 plots each taking up 10%, 15%, 20%, 55% of the page)?

Thanks.