AF_INET error with sockets on Linux

From: George Nychis
Subject: AF_INET error with sockets on Linux
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 09:40:50 -0700

I am attempting to get the sockets library working on Ubuntu 10.04, with Octave 3.2.3 (current version packaged for Ubuntu).

I found the source code for the socket package here:
http://octave.sourceforge.net/sockets/index.html

When trying to run "test_octave_sockets" I get the following:
error: `AF_INET' undefined near line 12 column 17
error: evaluating argument list element number 1
error: evaluating argument list element number 1
error: called from:
error:   dotest at line 12, column 8
error:   ./test_octave_sockets at line 95, column 6

I found that this was a similar error previously discussed, that seemed to have had a fix for:
http://old.nabble.com/Sockets-error-td25230848.html

I'm not sure what exactly the fix was, and where it went.  I checked the newest version of Octave to see if it had socket support built in, but I couldn't seem to find it in there.  So I'm assuming the sourceforge package I downloaded is the newest socket code?

I could simply replace it with its numeric value:
#define AF_INET   2 /* Internet IP Protocol   */

But... I'd rather figure out what the core problem is.

Thanks!
George