Re: imread error - invalid image file: __magick_read__: not available in

From: Martin Helm
Subject: Re: imread error - invalid image file: __magick_read__: not available in this version of Octave
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 18:06:33 +0200

Am Mittwoch, 4. August 2010 17:45:32 schrieb Tobias Schneider:
> Hello,
>
> I've got a problem using imread:
>
> error: imread: invalid image file: __magick_read__: not available in
> this version of Octave
> error: called from:
> error:   /usr/share/octave/3.2.4/m/image/imread.m at line 74, column 7
>
> I am using openSUSE 11.2, for installing octave I used the tools
> delivered by opensuse (Software Manager YAST). The Octave packages I
> installed using pkg install.
>
> I already found some posts that may handle the issue:
>
> http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/db08c2376970
> http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/weird-problem-with-magick-read-oct-td16
> 56126.html http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?29474
>
> But unfortunately I don't know how to apply those information to make my
> octave running as expected. Hopefully someone might give me some hints?
> Currently I am very confused...
>
> Thanks in advance for your help!
>
> Best regards
> Tobias

It is exactly what the message says, this octave version is built without
magick support, not much that you can do, the packager decided this.

You can of course compile it yourself. If you do not want to do that you can
install the slightly older 3.2.0 from the opensuse build service

http://software.opensuse.org/ymp/home:ars3niy:octave/openSUSE_11.1/octave.ymp?base=openSUSE%3A11.1&query=octave

it is made for 11.1 but works without any problems on 11.2 (and includes also
some other missing features like fltk).

 If you want to build 3.2.4 yourself I can recommend the following description

http://www.schoeps.org/home/2010/01/install-octave-on-opensuse/

(replace 3.2.3 with 3.2.4 it works the same way).

- mh