Re: [OctDev] Trouble with jhandles--installation issue?

From: Jonathan Kimball
Subject: Re: [OctDev] Trouble with jhandles--installation issue?
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 15:57:06 -0500

If fixing it is a big deal, maybe the best thing is to follow the advice up-thread and wait on the fltk backend.  Having no gnuplot background but plenty of Matlab experience, I really like the jhandles graphical backend.  I'll either learn gnuplot or wait on fltk.

Please note that there are two bugs that prevent me from using jhandles.  One is the problem closing a plot window.  The other, more critical, bug is the inability to print the plot.  If anyone can recommend a way to somehow convert a jhandles-type plot into some graphics format (eps, png, etc.), I would appreciate it.

Thanks for all your help!
Jonathan

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 3:45 PM, Martin Helm <address@hidden> wrote:
Am Dienstag, 10. August 2010 22:18:46 schrieb Judd Storrs:
> 2010/8/10 Jonathan Kimball <address@hidden>
>
> > Did the GPL issue affect the 3.0.1 build that was previously available
> > for Octave, or v0.3.3 of jhandles?
>
> It seems I wasn't clear, so sorry for the confusion. The GPL issue is why
> older builds of Octave for Windows (3.0.x etc) were removed from
> source-forge.
>

> --judd

The jhandles itself is still there but seems not to build easily or whatever
the problem is so that it is not in the list of packages, but I took it from
the svn repo.
The last windows build with a fully functional jhandles was by accident
exactly the build with the MSVC license issue. It was definitely not the
jhandles itself which was the problem (I followed at that time the discussion
and was a bit confused why the MSVC libs do not qualify as system libs).
Jhandles should in theory work well with mingw (in fact it does except a nasty
bug when you try to close the plot windows), this bug does not exist on linux
so I cannot debug it (my windows programming times are almost more than a
decade ago).

To make a long story short, I would volunteer to help to save the jhandles
package so that it has a future, if there is some interest that it still
exists (I am a professional java programmer) but need time to understand the
problems with the windows port.

- mh