Re: (newer Java package needed?) Implementation of "uicontrol" for lates

From: Martin Helm
Subject: Re: (newer Java package needed?) Implementation of "uicontrol" for latest Octave?
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 17:55:33 +0200

Am Freitag, 20. August 2010, 17:47:20 schrieb Pen-Yuan Hsing:
> On 2010/08/20 05:41, Martin Helm wrote:
> > Am Freitag, 20. August 2010, 02:21:21 schrieb Tatsuro MATSUOKA:
> >> Hello
> >>
> >> Current situation of Jhandle has been written by Michael as a reply to
> >> the ML topic.
> >>
> >> Trouble with jhandles--installation issue?
> >>
> >> Thread
> >> http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Trouble-with-jhandles-installation-i
> >> ssu e-tt2317282.html
> >>
> >> Point to Michal's reply
> >> http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Trouble-with-jhandles-installation-i
> >> ssu e-td2317282.html#a2320473
> >>
> >> AS sentence in the above post
> >> *****
> >> So the bottom line is: current jhandles implementation is not suited for
> >> current octave code. *****
> >>
> >> Perhaps this is the reason why the jhandle package is disappeared from
> >> the current octave-forge site.
> >>
> >> I am not a Matlab user so that the above is all I can tell you.
> >>
> >> Regards
> >>
> >> Tatsuro

> > You can give jhandles 0.3.5 a try if you are working with octave 3.2.4
> > and the java-1.2.7 package
> >
> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/octave/files/Octave%20Forge%20Packages/R2
> > 009-05-08/jhandles-0.3.5.tar.gz/download
> >
> > I compiled it on my linux machine for 3.2.4 and with that version this
> > jhandles version works (I have also the development version and 3.3.52 on
> > my machine but never tried to make it run with the newer versions and I
> > guess it will not work without changes to the source code).
> > Since it works on my linux machine but has problems with the same octave
> > version on windows machines there is no guarantee that it will work on
> > mac.
> >
> > But maybe it is worth the effort to try this combination.
> >
> > - mh
>
> Hello again,
>
> I managed to install packages for my 64-bit Mac OS X running latest
> Octave.app by following the instructions here:
>
> http://www.supermegaultragroovy.com/blog/2009/09/17/installing-octave-packa
> ges-in-snow-leopard/
>
> However, when I try to install JHandles, it fails and tells me:
>
> "./configure: line 3366: test: 1.6.0_20: integer expression expected
> configure: WARNING: this package requires at least Java-1.5
> make: *** [all] Error 255
> ....."
>
> The Octave Forge website provides Java 1.2.7, is there a place to find a
> newer Java version >1.5 to make JHandles work?
>
> Thanks!!

This message does not mean that you need a newer java package (java packgae
version 1.5 does not exist), but that the configure is not able to interpret
the java version string 1.6.0_20 and therefore does not recognize that you
have already java version >= 1.5 installed.
Unfortuneately I cannot tell you how to solve that because I have no mac and
on my system this did not happen, so I cannot reproduce that.
Hopefully one of the mac users will know a solution.

- mh