Re: 0.3*3 == 0.9?

From: Sergei Steshenko
Subject: Re: 0.3*3 == 0.9?
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 07:29:03 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Wed, 8/25/10, Michael Creel <address@hidden> wrote:

From: Michael Creel <address@hidden>
Subject: 0.3*3 == 0.9?
To: "Octave ML" <address@hidden>
Date: Wednesday, August 25, 2010, 7:13 AM

Before filing a bug report, I wanted to check if for some reason this is
expected behavior, or if it has been fixed in the development sources. I'm
running the snapshot before the most recent one.Thanks,
Michael
address@hidden:~$ octaveGNU Octave, version 3.3.51+Copyright (C) 2010 John W.
Eaton and others.This is free software; see the source code for copying
conditions.
There is ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; not even for MERCHANTABILITY orFITNESS FOR A
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  For details, type `warranty'.
Octave was configured for "x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu".

Additional information about Octave is available at http://www.octave.org.
Please contribute if you find this software useful.For more information, visit
http://www.octave.org/help-wanted.html

Read http://www.octave.org/bugs.html to learn how to submit bug reports.
For information about changes from previous versions, type `news'.

octave:1> 0.3*2 == 0.6ans =  1octave:2> 0.3*3 == 0.9ans = 0octave:3>

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----

Before dealing with numerical stuff:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floating_point

- specifically, pay attention to various radix issues.

Regards,
  Sergei.