Re: new to octave, confused about load(), dlmread et cetera

From: CdeMills
Subject: Re: new to octave, confused about load(), dlmread et cetera
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 05:18:26 -0700 (PDT)

Jaroslav Hajek-2 wrote:

> The reason why there is no "just load it" function in Octave for this
> kind of data is that there is no built-in datatype for matrices with
> named (and possibly heterogeneous) columns. Octave's arrays are, in
> general, multidimensional and homogeneous (except cell and struct
> arrays), and carry no row or column labels.

If you are ready to deal with occasional bugs, I released a few days ago a
package on octave-forge whose name is 'dataframe', with preciselly the goal
of having matrix-like structures with named rows and columns, and the
abilitity to select by name. It can also read  CSV files, infer data types,
rows and columns names. To try it:
go to http://octave.sourceforge.net/packages.php
download dataframe-0.4.tar.gz
from octave:
pkg install '~/the/path/with/dataframe-0.4.tar.gz'
pkg load dataframe
test and enjoy

Regards

Pascal