Freebsd install, question N+1: search setting for configure?

From: fork
Subject: Freebsd install, question N+1: search setting for configure?
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 19:34:04 +0000 (UTC)

When I run configure, the error output tells me that tons of libraries are not
available, for example:

"configure: WARNING: PCRE library not found.  This will result in some loss of
functionality for the regular expression matching functions."

Since I am freebsd, most of these libraries (I verifed PCRE) are somewhere under
"/usr/local" (not /usr).  So, the pcre lib is /usr/local/lib/libpcre.so.0.

I ran configure as:

./configure LDFLAGS='-L/usr/local/lib'  CPPFLAGS='-I/usr/local/lib' ./configure
 1>confout 2>conferr

Is there a way to tell configure to look under /usr/local/... the same as it
would /usr/.. in a Linux ish system?

Thanks again!