Re: XLSReadWrite and Octave for Windows

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: XLSReadWrite and Octave for Windows
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 14:07:20 -0700 (PDT)

Ian Journeaux-2 wrote:

> I was wondering if the XLSReadWrite package was available for Octave under
> windows (32.bit)?
>
> When I try to use XLSWrite I get the following error message
>
> octave-3.2.4.exe:2> xlswrite('c:\testt.xls',a);
> ncols =  256
> Creating file c:\testt.xls
> Supported interfaces:
> warning: No support for Excel .xls I/O
> error: oct2xls: unknown Excel .xls interface - NONE.
> error: called from:
> error:
> C:\Octave\3.2.4_gcc-4.4.0\share\octave\packages\io-1.0.11\oct2xls.m
> at line 100, column 3
> error:
> C:\Octave\3.2.4_gcc-4.4.0\share\octave\packages\io-1.0.11\xlswrite.m at
> line
> 160, column 6
>
> That seems to indicate that Octave knows something about XLS but not
> enough
> to do anything.

First of all, please do not start a message as a reply on digests; or if you
insist to, please strip the replied-to digest message down to size yourself
:-)

OK then, as to Excel:

Have you already tried (in Octave):
help xlswrite
? That would have given you handy info on the problem.

If you've installed the Octave-Windows binary, please read the README file -
it contains more info on Excel stuff.

If you d/led / compiled / installed Octave and installed the I/O package
yourself, you can have a look at README-XLS.html in the I/O package's DOC
subdirectory.

As a first hint, from what I can infer from the messages you have neither:
- MS-Excel installed and/or Windows package installed + LOADED (without this
ActiveX doesn't work)
- nor the Java package installed + loaded & Java classes for spreadsheet
support in your javaclasspath (then the alternative platform-independent
options are unavailable as well).

(Yeah the Windows package is not loaded by default in the binary Windows
distribution to avoid a "clear all" bug; just try
  pkg load Windows
first (in Octave).)
If xlswrite still doesn't work then, please read the docs first.

(BTW the "ncols = 256" line is a stray debug statement).

Good luck!

Philip