Re: XLSReadWrite and Octave for Windows

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: XLSReadWrite and Octave for Windows
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 14:34:06 -0700 (PDT)

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

> On 12 October 2010 12:10, Ian Journeaux <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> That seems to indicate that Octave knows something about XLS but not
>> enough
>> to do anything.
>
> That seems about right. As a workaround, can you use cvs for now instead
> of xls?
>
> There's plenty of software that we could use in order to implement
> writing to xls if you really need to. I could throw this into my wish
> list pile if you really want it. I've done stuff like this in the

No need to implement full .xls support (and full .ods support) as that has
been there (in octave-forge) for about a year now. Even platform-independent
(based on Java) - I use it on Linux too.

What I could add someday is .gnumeric support. I know there's a java class
for writing to gnumeric, but -intruigingly- there's none for reading...

> past. The old binary MSFT formats are actually not that hard to
> understand.

I suppose you haven't seen the source code of Apache POI yet?
The Apache POI folks don't call it HSSF ("Horrible SpreadSheet Format") just
for fun... (and they haven't implemented BIFF5 (Excel 95), is that what you
call the "old binary MSFT format"? Apache POI supports BIFF8 only (Excel
97-2003), + OOXML of course)

BTW in the OpenWatcom news groups some weeks ago someone posted code (in C
or C++, I forgot) for reading .xls files. Other than that I haven't found
much useful free .xls code in C/C++.

Philip