Re: Deleting equal rows/columns in matrix

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: Deleting equal rows/columns in matrix
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2010 22:31:49 +0200

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 12:30 PM, AlbFrigerio
<address@hidden> wrote:

> I believe Octave function is better than mine for lots of reasons, mainlty
> because my function works only with matrix of integer 0:9 values with small
> size. I tried it on some matrices, and the time discrepance is not big. I
> implemented it only because I wasn't able to find the unique function, now
> I'm using it because it is more flexible (also with big size matrices).
>
> My idea is quite simple : given a matrix, I transform every row in a number
> using 10-base representation. Then I produce the outer difference of the
> resulting vector, looking for the non-diagonal zeros. These are the repeated
> elements, I choose to delete the latest ones.

Yes, I understand all that. I was just curious whether you can show me
a case where this approach actually beats Octave's unique by a
significant margin. I'm still interested, but please give the *exact*
code including the time measurements, I can't guess what you actually
did.