Search path?

From: David Wittenberg
Subject: Search path?
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 20:37:16 -0500

I'm using the pre-compiled octave 3.2.3 from SourceForge on Mac OS
10.5.8

I'd like to use a package, but when I give the command
    pkg install -global <matlabPyrTools.tar.gz>
I get the error:
    warning: file <matlabPyrTools.tar.gz> does not exist

I've put a copy of the file in  my home directory, in directories
given by path, and I've used addpath to make sure the directory
containing the file is in the path.  I still get the "file does not
exist" error.  I'm sure I'm missing something  terribly simple, but
I'm baffled.  pwd gives my home directory, and ./  is in the path
shown.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

--