Re: filter.oct

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: filter.oct
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 07:54:12 -0600

2011/3/1 Esposito Francesco <address@hidden>:
> i have implemented my personal filter.c based on Eigen Lib functions and It
> behaves like Matlab but I tried the filter function of octave but It behaves
> differently from matlab.
>
> If you try y=filter(b,a,x,zi) both in matlab and octave you can appreciate
> this difference.

I don't have access to Matlab and I think a few other people don't as
well, so I can't personally try your example to see what the
differences are. Can you describe them?

> I'm also available to patch your filter.cc as you ask me in the previous
> mail.....I'm not a control-guy but an Embedded Engineer and I'm not so
> impertinent to suppose your filter does not work properly. Probably I did
> not understand the correct use of your filter.

The most common thing is to consider differences with Matlab as bugs
(although we may decide, relatively rarely, that the bug is in Matlab
and not replicate it). I do not know control theory myself either, so
I can't evaluate your patch. I suggest you write it anyways if you are
certain it replicates the Matlab functionality and that Matlab is
correct but Octave isn't. Someone else can then evaluate your patch
and apply it.

- Jordi G. H.