Re: xlswrite , io package and octave 3.2.4

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: xlswrite , io package and octave 3.2.4
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 15:02:43 -0700 (PDT)

senator wrote:

> I Recently downloaded Octave 3.2.4, I was thinking this was the latest
> version. I think it said it was just updated in February. I have been
> trying for a while to use xlswrite, but I am getting nowhere. (earlier I
> was trying to use xlsread and also was not having luck  so used a
> different method--thanks )  I read that I need to install the io package
> to use xlswrite, so I recently found it and tried to install it. The
> problem is when I try to install the package from the command window I
> get:
> Error: the following dependencies where unsatisfied: io needs octave
> >=3.4.0
> Before I make any software changes I am trying to confirm what I should
> do.  What do you think I need to do to get xlswrite and xlsread working
> and do I have the latest version of octave available? I downloaded it
> Friday.

On what platform do you run octave?
If it were Windows, the octave-3.2.4 MinGW binary installer offers an option
for out-of-the-box Excel R/W support.

On other platforms, it can be a bit more involved. So, first try to find
octave-forge io & Java packages relating to your Octave-"updated in
February". If not, you're in for an interesting piece of work:

First of all, you'll also have to download & install the Java package
(currently at 1.2.7 although 1.2.8 is ready for release) - this is vital for
spreadsheet I/O support. Inside the java-.tar.gz file there's a nice .pdf
manual in the /doc subdir, please read it, it'll save you a lot of problems.
In a nutshell, you'll need to have a Java SDK installed (not just a JRE) to
be able to get the Java package compiled. Once you got a SDK, you'd need to
specify the JAVA_HOME environment setting to point to the JVM (inside
Octave, do:  setenv ("JAVA_HOME", "/path/to/java/jvm") ). On Linux it is
usually somewhere in /usr/lib/jvm/....  When that's ready do   pkg install
-verbose -auto java-.tar.gz   (+ keep fingers crossed)

Once Java works OK (test with "javamem" command), you need to download and
install the needed Java classes somewhere (see the readme-xls.html file in
the io/doc subdir in the io-.tar.gz package.)
When this is finished, you'll need to add these java classes to the
javaclasspath (see the documentation). If you run into problems with that I
got a (currently somewhat rough) script for setting up the javaclasspath,
just let me know.

When all this is ready you got two options for the io package proper:

* Either install io-1.0.14 using "pkg install -nodeps
/path/to/io-1.0.14.tar.gz" (w/o quotes - note "-nodeps").
The io package will probably work OK but you'll miss csvread, csvwrite,
dlmread, dlmwrite & textread (no big deal, especially that textread version
was fairly limited. Octave 3.4.0 has much better versions of these functions
in "core").

* Or get the previous io pkg version:
On the octave-sf.net site:
click "Packages"
select "io"
click "details" (I suppose you are here then:
http://octave.sourceforge.net/io/index.html)
click "older versions"
click "Octave-Forge packages"
click "Individual Package releases"
scroll down to "io-1.0.13.tar.gz" and
download + install that one.

BTW Just today I've committed several bug fixes for .xls support in the io
package. io-1.0.15 is not far off  :-)

Philip