Re: What dees this error mean?

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: What dees this error mean?
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 14:20:11 -0700 (PDT)

Martin Helm wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, den 30.03.2011, 12:15 -0700 schrieb senator:
>> all my packages are indeed installed , I am copying and pasting the
>> command
>> out of octave forge function file so it should work right?  but i am
>> gettin
>> errors. I am going to copy the error report below.
>> it seems i have no excel support.. I am use Windows and I have excel 2007
>> and csvwrite works great for sending files to excels csv file

Well, if csv fits your needs....

I had a brief look at dlmwrite and csvwrite; I conclude that Bill Krekeler's
suggestion to write a custom csvwrite (/csvread) may be the easiest way to
go for mixed float/string I/O in .csv format.
One of these days I'll have a look at it, but first: taxes! (< April 1st) -
so don't hold your breath...

>> Let me know if you know what these errors mean:
>>
>> arr=[23;34]
>> xlswrite ('test4.xls', 'arr', 'Third_sheet', 'C3:AB40');
>>
>> command window output:
>>
>> ncols=26
>> Creating file test4.xls
>> warning: No support for Excel .xls I/O
>> error: oct2xls unknown Excel .xls interface - NONE.
>> error: called from:
>> error:  C\Documents..........
>> error:C\Documnets.....line 2, column 1
>>
>> thanks for still reading my messages
>>
> Try
>
> xlswrite ('test4.xls', 'arr', 'Third_sheet', 'C3:AB40', 'POI');

No, this won't help; if the POI interface were be supported on Jonathan's
PC, xlsopen.m (invoked by xlswrite) would have detected it already and fall
back to it.
But it says "NONE" - the default placeholder interface name before any
interface check has been done, implying no support at all could be detected.

I suppose a Java JRE is lacking as well.
Did you try "java -version" in a Command prompt?

> this forces that the function uses the functionality provided by the
> inbuilt java based excel support and bypasses the use of the excel com
> functionality.
> (With POI it also works on a machine where no excel is installed, but it
> is slower).
> I guess excel 2007 has an incompatible com functionality, POI should
> solve that.

Perhaps .... I vaguely remember reading something like that on the Mathworks
site or in comp.soft-sys.matlab, but I cannot find it now. I have no
MS-Office 2007 so I couldn't test it myself, but here's the very first
report about failure although the Excel support scripts for Octave exist for
over a year.

POI is Java-based, be sure to have at least a Java JRE installed - get one
here:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html

Again I strongly suggest to follow the troubleshooting guide I mentioned in
another post, step by step.
That'll show exactly where things go wrong.

P.