Re: Two lined title on plot

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: Two lined title on plot
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 13:04:42 -0500 (CDT)

martin_helm wrote:

> Am Dienstag, 5. April 2011, 17:51:49 schrieb dirac:
> > hi there,
> >
> > I have been trying to put a two lined title on to a plot I am working
> on at
> > the moment. I have seen some suggestions from the matlab forum
> already:
> >
> >   title({'line1','line2'})
> >
> >   and
> >
> >   title('line1 \newline line2')
> >
> > But they both don't work. I don't know if it is because I am using a
> > macbook or if these commands don't work in Octave. I also saw another
> > solution from the Octave (this!) forum:
> >
> >   title("foo\nbar")
> >
> > But this doesn't work for my problem where I am concatenating things
> in the
> > command:
> >
> >   title(cstrcat('Normalised Histogram and Gaussian fit of the
> > ',num2str(days),' daily returns for the stock AstraZeneca PLC'))
> >

> > Is there a way to put this on two lines?
> > Thanks
> > Martin
> >

> This example works well with 3.4
>
> title(cstrcat("Normalised Histogram and Gaussian fit \nof the
> ",num2str(days),"
> daily returns\n for the stock AstraZeneca PLC"))
>
> (Just for fun I used 3 lines)
> You have to use "" for the strings.

Sure, this works OK in GNUplot, but not so nice in FLTK as the glyph
renderer produces hickups on control characters like \n, \t, \r, ..... and
on text cell arrays.

A while ago I've sent patches for this to the bug tracker (#31468) for both
__ axis_label__.m  (proposed earlier on by David Bateman) &
src/txt-eng-ft.cc (the actual glyph renderer).
Hopefully they'll be applied soon or perhaps someone can turn them into a
changeset (I'm still trying to find out how to do this myself easily, esp.
backing out).

Philip