Re: GraphicsMagick limitations?

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: GraphicsMagick limitations?
Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 08:19:25 +0100

On 15 May 2011 08:00, marco atzeri <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 8:39 AM, Chethan S wrote:
>>
>> When I run GNU Octave and try to use the command 'imshow' to display an
>> image, I get the following warning:
>>
>> warning: your version of GraphicsMagick limits images to 8 bits per pixel
>>
>> The image displays fine but I am not able to understand what is this
>> limitation due to. I run Ubuntu 11.04 64-bit and Octave 3.4.0 installed from
>> sources.
>>
>> Thanks and regards,
>
> GraphicksMagick can be built with
>
> --with-quantum-depth=8
> --with-quantum-depth=16
> --with-quantum-depth=32
>
> Octave likes 16, but probably Ubuntu uses 8 that is/was the default

In Ubuntu and Debian the default is still Q8. You can see why they
haven't changed to Q16 on this bug report (
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=557879 ) and can
leave a comment there too.

Don't forget that after you build GraphicksMagick with Q16 yourself,
you'll have to rebuild octave.

Carnë