Could eig() be outperformed by MKL numpy?

From: Klonuo Umom
Subject: Could eig() be outperformed by MKL numpy?
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 22:30:09 +0200

Hi,

I was comparing performance of ATLAS vs MKL NumPy and then Octave, through very
simple linalg tests, and found some interesting to me results:

Tests were run on low-end 2400 MHz P4 with 768 MB RAM running Windows XP SP3 32b

Octave 3.2.4, Python 2.6, NumPy 1.6

a = rand(1000, 1000)
b = rand(1000, 1000)

1. Simple dot product - dot(a,b)

======================
Octave         : 0.031
Cygwin/ATLAS   : 0.843
Windows/ATLAS* : 1.29
Windows/MKL    : 2.37
----------------------
*from official numpy binary installer

2. Eigenvalues - eig(a)

Octave         :  45.05
Cygwin/ATLAS   : 116
Windows/MKL    :  25.2

Results are in seconds.
Windows/MKL is Python 2.6.6 and numpy 1.6.0 build with Intel MKL library
Cygwin/ATLAS is Python 2.6.5. and numpy 2.0.dev build with ATLAS library

Comments are welcomed