Re: simulation of standard normal values

From: James Sherman Jr.
Subject: Re: simulation of standard normal values
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 22:11:30 -0400

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 8:57 PM, george brida <address@hidden> wrote:
Dear Octavers,
How can I simulate a sample of 50 observations from standard normal distribution so that the absolute value of each observation is less than 1?
Many thanks in advance,
George.

I'm not sure I follow.  Do you want to keep picking values from a normal distribution until you have 50 that have magnitude less than 1?  Do you want get 50 observations and simply divide by the maximum observation magnitude?  Any way you slice it, those 50 values are not going to be normally distributed (because Pr(|x|>1) >0 when x is distributed normally).

James